Australia Drop Jake Weatherald and Recall Matthew Renshaw for Bangladesh Finale
Australia have dropped opener Jake Weatherald and recalled Matthew Renshaw for the second and final Test against Bangladesh. The Guardian reported that Renshaw was added to a 13-player squad for the match starting Saturday in Mackay, with selectors making no other changes after Australia's defeat in Darwin.
Watch the highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-h4Dlc00EE
Weatherald made 23 in the first innings and was dismissed for a duck in the second as Bangladesh completed a historic nine-wicket victory. Those scores left the 31-year-old with a Test batting average of 20.36 after six appearances. He had entered the series under pressure following a limited return since his debut during the 2025-26 Ashes campaign.
Australia head coach Andrew McDonald said after the Darwin Test that there had been a change in Weatherald's setup and movement. McDonald also cautioned that the sample remained small, while pointing to the opener's two dismissals: Weatherald dragged the ball onto his stumps in one innings and was caught driving in the other. The selectors confirmed the change in a short statement on Tuesday.
Renshaw returns to the Test squad more than three years after his most recent appearance, which came against India in Delhi in February 2023. The 30-year-old has played 14 Tests and arrives after a productive domestic season for Queensland, scoring 499 runs in six Sheffield Shield matches at an average of 49.90.
His recent international involvement has come in limited-overs cricket. According to The Guardian, Renshaw has become a regular member of Australia's white-ball groups and has played nine one-day internationals and nine Twenty20 internationals during the past year. His selection gives Australia a fresh option at the top of the order as they try to level the two-match series.
Marnus Labuschagne remains in the squad despite scores of 31 and one in Darwin. McDonald told him on Monday that he needs substantial runs to keep his position at number three, but the selectors have retained him for Mackay. Australia therefore head into the deciding Test with Weatherald's omission and Renshaw's return as the only squad change after a result that put both the batting order and individual form under scrutiny.
Comments
0No comments yet
Be the first to share your thoughts!