T
NFL
Tennis

Jannik Sinner and Jack Draper Withdraw From US Open

Marcus Chen
Marcus Chen
Senior Tennis Editor
6:03 PM
TENNIS
Jannik Sinner and Jack Draper Withdraw From US Open
Watch Highlights
World number one Jannik Sinner and Britain's Jack Draper have withdrawn from the US Open because of injuries. Sinner is still recovering from a right-knee problem, while Draper needs more time to recover from a left-arm injury.

World number one Jannik Sinner and Britain's Jack Draper have withdrawn from the US Open because of injury, removing two notable players from the men's field shortly before the final Grand Slam tournament of the season. BBC Sport reported both withdrawals on Friday, with Sinner still troubled by his right knee and Draper continuing to recover from a left-arm problem.

Watch the highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkCWakQBJCc

Sinner said in a statement that a recent return to on-court training in Monte Carlo showed he needed more time to recover. The Italian had been working with his medical team but decided he was not ready to compete in New York. He plans to remain in Europe and continue his rehabilitation, with the Asian swing in Beijing and Shanghai identified as his next target rather than a confirmed return date.

The 25-year-old had already withdrawn from the Masters 1000 events in Toronto and Cincinnati because of the same knee issue. ATP Tour reporting on his Cincinnati withdrawal said he had not competed since beating Alexander Zverev to win Wimbledon. At that stage, Sinner said his focus was on becoming ready for the US Open, but the later training assessment ruled out that attempt.

Draper's withdrawal extends a difficult period with his left arm. The ATP Tour reported that the 24-year-old pulled out of the Washington tournament in July and had been due to play for the first time since Eastbourne in June. He had also missed Wimbledon. No firm date has been given for the British player's next competitive appearance.

Both players have significant recent history at Flushing Meadows. Sinner won the men's singles title in 2024, while Draper reached the semi-finals that year before losing to the Italian. Draper subsequently climbed to a career-high world ranking of number four, although ATP reporting listed him at number 147 when he withdrew from Washington last month.

The US Open men's singles main draw is scheduled to run from August 30 to September 13 in New York. Sinner had been positioned as the leading seed before his withdrawal, so his absence will require a change to the draw. For both Sinner and Draper, the immediate priority is recovery, and neither player's eventual return should be treated as certain until further medical and competitive updates are provided.

Share this article

Comments

0

No comments yet

Be the first to share your thoughts!